Sunday 3 June 2012

Sitting at a Crossroad


Today I write from a point in my life where I'm at a complete crossroad and I am completely and utterly stumped as what to do.
  • Where do I want to go
  • What do I want to do
  • What do I want to achieve
I want to travel the world so badly, I want to see new things, experience new cultures and make the world feel like a smaller place.

But at the same time I want to be successful in my career. I want to earn a lot. While people will always tell you that money doesn't equate happiness (and I couldn't agree more) being successful is an ideal I've always held and something I strongly want to achieve in my life. I want to run my own business or become the Director of an organisation. I'm super ambition and that will never leave me.
My direction choices are:
  • Personal Goal - Travel the world for 6 months (if I can save enough money)
  • Career Goal - Move to Vancouver to get a nice paying job and my foot firmly on the career ladder
  • Hippie Goal - Stay put and make a living painting flowers on the sidewalk
While I do have a few years experience within my field, I'm conscious of the economy, job prospects and ensuring I have a full and successful career. Saying that, my current desk job leaves me 100% unfulfilled and pulls at my self worth every day I spend there.

I'm also having to toy with personal emotions; keeping my family happy. While I never thought they would fully embrace my idea to travel the world, that last I wanted,needed or expected was the negativity to me doing so. I'm very close to my parents and while I'm not in this world to please others, having my parents support to do this means the world to me.

I would love to hear from you and what you have experienced in the past.
Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation?
What did you do?

For now,
Jones

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jonesy,
    At 58, I can look back at the hundreds of times I pondered this very thing -- Ha, I still do! I'm a vagabond at heart.
    I can't know what the truly right path is for you, but I'll say that I have zero regrets about the times I took the path less traveled. I have:

    *Started and lived in a commune
    *Had my own manufacturing company
    *Married 3 times
    *Was in the top 4 in sales for the (U.S) mid-west for a window treatment company
    *Travel the world as a house sitter

    Life is long Jonesy! There are many opportunities to change course or start over. At 58, I still get jazzed with ideas for new ventures. Latest one? Organize niche tours for small groups to Europe.
    I wish you all the best as you embrace life!
    ~Josie
    @jschn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josie,

    Hearing that you’ve followed your goals and dream throughout your life makes me feel incredibly happy. In my mind, your experiences far outweigh living life behind a desk. I try and imagine myself in many years’ time, thinking back to this very moment and whether I'd have any regrets.

    I guess Mark Twain said it best,
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

    :)

    Thank you for your support xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jonesy,

    Everything's a trade-off. I don't have the money -- or the paid-off- mortgage -- my stay-at-home girlfriends have now, but again -- no regrets! I've had and am still having an extremely rich life.

    What's important to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to give something back. I'm honestly happiest when I'm helping others; Volunteer work, working for no-profit organisations.

    My family is also incredibly important to me. While I can't always please everyone, I definitely don't want to make them unhappy. Have you had much experience or resistance when it comes to family members?

    I couldn't agree more about being life-rich. You say that when you look back at everything you've achieved and where you are now you are extremely happy. And I think I would be of the same mind, rather than spending every day behind a desk. That, I think, I would extremely regret.

    Have your ideals changed much through time or are they largely the same?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh Jonesy, I feel you! I was a 39-year-old partner in a big city law firm in the midwest. For a variety of reasons, I knew I needed to change course, probably leaving the practice of law and moving south. But which path to follow? And was it wise to drop a successful career to "start over?" Blah, blah, blah. I felt stuck by all the options and the weighty feeling magnitude of any decisions. Eventually, I decided that I needed time and space to figure it out. So, after planning the various logistics as best I could, I took a leap of faith and quit my job! I planned to give myself a "year off" to quiet my life, figure out what felt best, research the heck out of the options and start the next phase. Long story short, now it's a year and a half later and I'm living for the foreseeable forever on an island in the Bahamas! Never imagined that! (More of the story is on my Choosing The Better Life blog http://choosingthebetterlife.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-did-you-end-up-on-island-part-1.html)

    In addition to just feeling so right-there-with-you as I read your post, one thing really struck me about it . . . you sound so caught up in your MIND. I get that, too, since I'm a type-A, logic-driven, practical type. But I've learned to try to quiet my mind and listen to my HEART or find that little nudging inside of which direction to turn. Is it possible for you to take a mini-break? Even just a week's vacation to go somewhere peaceful by yourself and just BE? Set aside all the pros and cons, and shoulds, and what ifs. Try to just see what path you feel most drawn to as you leisurely go about your days that week.

    However you go about it, and whatever you end up doing, you have my very best wishes for your happiness and fulfillment! You'll figure it out . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind words. Everything you’ve said reaffirms that I need to follow my heart. Life is too short to watch it pass by and I know, even now, that I’d regret not following through with it if I reach my 70’s and look back.

    Your comment about being so caught up in my mind couldn’t ring more true. The type-A, logic-driven, practical mentality is definitely my predominant trait and sometimes I wish I could quieten that constant, inner train of thought and just go with my gut feeling. Time away from the bubble I live in sounds like a good idea; break away from my daily routine to get a bigger perspective on things.

    Your kind words brought a little tear in my eye. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide some much needed thought and insight. I appreciate it more than words can describe. I’ll keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have such a warm spot for you in my heart with all of this. Sounds like you may actually know "in your gut" what you want to do. The rest of it is just fear disguised in various forms. You know you can do anything you put your mind to - and you can always start over or take yet another detour. Best wishes as you take the leap nto your next phase - whatever it may be!

      Delete